Tuesday, August 2, 2011

The Lightning Thief


Title: The Lightning Thief
Author: Rick Riordan
Genre: Fantasy
# of Pages: 400
Books Read: 11/50

This is the book I chose to read-aloud at TOPS this summer. It's full of adventure, and I think the idea of a sixth-grade boy finding out he's a hero is pretty intriguing. Plus, the series is based on Greek mythology, which students do learn more about in sixth grade.

It's a pretty long book, so my class didn't get to finish it, but I took it home and finished the book on my own. My favorite aspect of this series is the chapter titles. Each one gives a little preview of the action to come, but in a bizarre way that makes me laugh and wonder, "What the heck?" 

I got the movie to watch, too. It's pretty good, but I don't like that they cast older teenagers as Percy, Grover, and Annabeth. I think it takes away some of the coolness when the teenage heroes are high school students, because they're older and it's not quite as exciting as 13 year olds defeating evil and saving the world. 

No comments:

Post a Comment