Saturday, June 4, 2011

Girl in Blue


Title: Girl in Blue
Author: Ann Rinaldi
Genre: Fiction- Historical Fiction
# of Pages: 310
Books Read: 5/50

First I was on an adventure-boy-hero kick, now it seems I'm reading a string of historical fiction novels with strong female main characters! It is my intent to read a wide variety of books this summer, so soon I'll have to look for some of the fantasy, mystery, or realistic fiction on my list! I also know that many of my students love humorous books, so I'll be sure to read some, too!

I really enjoyed reading Girl in Blue, but I would hesitate to recommend it for many of my students. The story and the tough issues addressed seem more fitting for middle school or even high school readers. 

Set during the Civil War, sixteen year old Sarah needs a plan to escape her father's farm in Flint, Michigan. Her father has promised her in marriage to a man over twice her age, which is the last straw for Sarah in a lifetime of abuse. She wants to serve her country, as many young people do during this time. Most girls however, would enlist as nurses, if at all. Sarah, however, is determined to enlist as a soldier, and in order to do so, must disguise herself as a man. 

Disguised as Neddy Compton, Sarah becomes a soldier and marches to Washington, D.C. Her duties include serving in the hospital, where she becomes good friends with Dr. Hammond, the surgeon there. She does go to battle, and does shoot and kill enemy soldiers. Later, her true identity is discovered, and she is in big trouble. With Dr. Hammond's help, Sarah becomes a spy! She's now helping "the cause" of the Union army in a new role, as a female spy. It is in this position that Sarah finds herself in the most danger. She even falls in love! Sarah is transformed from a stubborn girl into a skilled woman and a true heroine. 

A couple months ago, I read another book by the author, Ann Rinaldi, titled Numbering the Bones. This book also takes place around the same historical time period, but in a much different setting. Numbering the Bones is the story of a Southern plantation at the end of the Civil War. The young girl in this story also learns the price of war, and also finds freedom. I liked this book because it showed how slaves weren't automatically free at the end of the war. I think Ann Rinaldi does a great job showing the weaknesses in historical accounts. Often, the history we learn in school is glamorized to show only the triumphs. By reading about a character, I can make connections and see how today's world is different in many ways, and in other ways, very much the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment