Thursday, June 30, 2011

Eleven


Title: Eleven
Author: Patricia Reilly Giff
Genre: Realistic Fiction
# of Pages: 164
Books Read: 7/50

From the cover illustration, I always thought this book was science fiction. Even the back cover summary makes it sound a little eerie and mysterious. And while this book is a mystery, it's a contemporary realistic fiction novel. I was reminded of Kate DiCamillo's Because of Winn Dixie by the dynamic between the two main characters. Sam and Caroline form a friendship because each needs the other, yet Sam in particular is reluctant to tell all his other friends, because well afterall, she's a girl. (haha) The other book I am reminded of is The Face on the Milk Carton, mostly in the beginning, when Sam first discovers that he might not belong in his family. 

Sam is a very real character, with very real weaknesses. He can't read, write, or spell, and doesn't know why. He has to get special help at school, but even that doesn't seem to open the door to reading for him. I feel so sorry for him, and can hardly imagine going through life not being able to decode all the things we read on a daily basis. Sam's gift is his ability to build things with wood. His grandfather is a skilled carpenter, and Sam shares his talent. 

I really liked this book; much more than I thought I might. I do need to catch up if I'm going to make my 50 book goal- it's hard to believe it's nearly July now! 

No comments:

Post a Comment